Thursday, January 07, 2010

Snow Day

Today is a gloriously wonderful, beautiful, restful, relaxing snow day here in our town. We were blessed with approximately 4 inches of snow last night so nearly all of the local schools are closed, including the one I teach at. And let me tell you, it was such a blessing!

There is something special about an unexpected snowday. Kids everywhere think they are the best thing since Christmas morning. When else can you sleep in, stay in your pjs all day, play in the snow all day, drink hot chocolate and forget about all responsibilities? Every kid loves having a snowday, even those that jump out of bed every morning, excited to get to school!

As a new(er) teacher I have rediscovered the joy of snowdays. Teachers love them just as much, if not more, than kids. This one was especially wonderful because tomorrow is the dreaded gradecard day. The day when I as a teacher must send home gradecards with my students and lots of their wonderful work to show their parents. So today I get most of the day to finish them up instead of stressing about them tonight. Yes, I know, I should have been more organized and had them done earlier, but it's not going to happen. We should just all accept that after 34 years of living on this earth, I am a procrastinator. I've accepted it, you accept it, we'll all be happier. There is no fighting it any longer.

So Joss and I are enjoying our day. I got up early, ate some breakfast, watched some news, and then even went back to bed for a mid-morning nap. It was glorious! Joss has been watching NOGGIN and is now catching up on her Weekly Reader reading.
I'm sure later we will =head out into the frigid temperatures to play and shovel, but for now we're content to be indoors in our jammies, warm and snuggly!!

No comments: