Monday, March 16, 2009

The Easter Season

I just read a post over at http://jennysimmons.blogspot.com/ that made me think of the upcoming Easter season. She discussed how we are so desensitized to many things in this life and we often lose our interest in things very quickly. She discussed this in the light of the Easter season.

I have to admit, I loved Easter as a child, with all of the candy and such. My parents never told me that there was an easter bunny but they always made sure we had tons of candy and had the obligatory egg hunt. As an adult it is my second favorite holiday but for a much different reason. I have to say that the commercialism of Christmas and Easter bother me some (though I do still love getting a new Easter dress :) ) and I would love for both holidays to be quiet and simple and only focus on the true reason for them. My favorite times for both holidays are quiet, candle-lit church services where everyone is focused on Christ and what He did for all of us. I have nothing against chocolate (other than what it does to my figure) but I don't want to make it the focus of the Easter holiday. I want to stay focused on what Easter truly is.

This is of course not to offend anyone who likes to play the easter bunny and play it all up, I respect everyone's decision to do that. Just please don't be upset if I don't send you a fuzzy bunny card :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will be upset. I look forward to that card every year!! :)