The trees and decorations are still up but we are already in the midst of our post-holiday cleaning. The weather has been so nice in the area that we have been doing some spring-cleaning type activities, including defrosting a freezer that has needed it for months! As much as I LOVE Christmas there is something refreshing about getting things put away and being ready for the new year.
Hubby and I talked a lot this year about what we wanted Christmas to be like in our house and were in agreement that we wanted to be about so much more than presents and santa and the hustle and bustle of commercialism that we have all come to know and love. Our true desire is to celebrate the true reason for the Christmas season - Christ's birth. We also want to work at living a life that is giving to others more than simply buying more "stuff". Our plan was to volunteer at a local soup kitchen over the holidays but didn't get it done (on the list for next year). We did encourage Joss to go through her things and decide what she doesn't need or doesn't play with and she then donated it to a local charity. It is amazing to me that at 5 years old she obviously already has a servant's heart. Maybe she remembers her life in China what it is like to not have much, or maybe she simply wants to help others. Whatever the reason I am proud of her. We talked a lot this season about how Christmas is not just about getting presents (most of which ended up behind her bed within 24 hours) but about giving to others. Our goal is to continue to instill that in her as she gets older, and not just have it centered around Christmas.
I particularly have enjoyed our Christmas break from school (one of top perks of being a teacher I've decided). It has been a much needed rest from our extremely busy schedule. I am getting more sleep than I probably need, but I'm sure my body is saving up for the next few months, knowing that spring break is a few months away! We have a few more days before I have to go back and though I have to spend a good portion of each of those days getting ready for school, it is nice to be home with the family. Tony has taken some time off also and we have all been hanging around the house together. It's amazing how much better we all get along when we have time to spend together!
All in all this Christmas seemed less stressful than in years past. It seemed simpler and less busy. We didn't stress about buying as much, mainly because we had no choice (NOT one of the top perks of being a teacher), and with the time at home we all enjoyed it more than ever.
I hope everyone had a great holiday and were able to spend it with family and friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment